Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Work Work Centers: Part 2

I finally remembered to take pictures of my other word work centers!  The day is a whirlwind so it is a miracle that my head is even on straight :)

This is an alphabetizing center that I created.  There are four baggies of words to choose from, and the students are to alphabetize the words on the owls according the the first letter on the tree branch.  This is such an important skill in first grade, so I decided to make it a center so that they have more practice with it.  The answers are on the back so that they can self check.   This comes from my Word Work Center pack, available in English and Spanish, at the TpT store {stay tuned for a giveaway at the end of my word work posts}.
p.s.-- sorry about the terrible glare... my photography skills are lacking :/

This is a cute idea I got from a blog or pinterest at the beginning of last year, and I cannot for the life of me remember where I saw it to link back to.  All you need is empty bottles, stuff to put inside of them, and sight words.  TA-DA!!  You have a word work center, and it can be easily done in English, Spanish, or both.  The kids find the words, read them, and write them in their center journals.  If you wanted to extend it even more, they could use the words in sentences.


This is another idea from my word work center pack.  I could find lots of great ideas in English but few in Spanish, so I had to get to work!  The game is called spin and spell.  The kids play in partners and take turns spinning the spinner.  They must say or write a word with that pattern, and if they can think of one they get a point.  If not, they don't get a point and it is their partner's turn.  The game continues until time is up, and the person with the most points wins.  Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy! {as my kids say... ha}

And the last center for today is Secret Code Spelling.  I got this from a blog or pinterest as well, but here is a link to a free one on the TpT store that is very similar.  This can be used in either Spanish or English too, and the kids get way into it.  I have them pick a word from the word wall or their dictionary, and they have to write it in their center journal using the secret code.  They they swap with their partner to see if the partner can figure out the word.  So fun!

And that's all for now!  Be on the lookout for part 3 coming soon & a giveaway of my word work center pack.  Who doesn't love free stuff??

1 comments:

  1. I love the spelling secret code! I teach grade 1-5 EFL students at a Czech elementary school and it's one of my 'go-to' spelling practice/fast-finishers activities!

    https://thebestticher.wordpress.com/2016/03/14/5-ways-to-improve-your-students-spelling/

    ReplyDelete